Why Choose a Specialist Orthodontist? – Orthodontist vs Dentist
Your treatment at M-Brace is under the direct supervision of Specialist Orthodontist Mr. R. R. Mahesh.
- General dentists provide lots of different treatments, eg. check-ups, fillings etc. and whilst some dental practices will offer teeth straightening, a general dentist will usually have undergone less formal training and may have less experience than a dedicated specialist. Specialist orthodontic practices, on the other hand, only provide orthodontic treatment.
- A Specialist Orthodontist has trained as a dentist but also undergone specialist postgraduate training for three years in the field of orthodontics. This qualification equips them to deal with all manner of complex and challenging orthodontic cases, using a wide variety of treatments. This includes the ability to correct a patient’s jaws to ensure they are in alignment with the facial profile.
- Because at M-Brace we’re only providing orthodontic treatment, we have the experience to advise on the best course of treatment.
Principal Specialist Orthodontist and Practice Owner
GDC No. 83003
- R. R. Mahesh obtained his Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) qualification, in 1994, from India. After working in general practice for a year, he then moved to UK to undertake training in Oral & maxillo-facial surgery and obtained his Fellowship in Dental Surgery (FDSRCS) from the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1997. He continued to work in the speciality of oral & maxilla-facial surgery before commencing his orthodontic training in Edinburgh in 2000. R. R. Mahesh obtained his MSc with Distinction from the University of Edinburgh in 2002 –first ever candidate to be awarded distinction in the 10 years of the course being conducted by the University of Edinburgh. R. R. Mahesh gained his double Membership in Orthodontics qualifications from both the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and England in 2003.
- After working in a specialist practice in the Lothians, R. R. Mahesh started his own orthodontic practice, M-Brace Orthodontics in 2009 – the letter ‘M’ in ‘M-Brace’ representing his name ‘R. R. Mahesh’. His aim has been to create such beautiful and stunning smiles for his patients – helping people to ‘Embrace like with a beautiful smile’ – an ethos that is embodied in the practice logo.
- Outside of work, R. R. Mahesh likes to spend time with his family and travel the world, visiting many exotic places.
- R. R. Mahesh is a registered Orthodontic Specialist with the General Dental Council.
- He is also a member of the British Orthodontic Society, American Association of Orthodontists, British Dental Association, British Lingual Orthodontic Society, World Federation of Orthodontics and Indian Dental Association.
- R. R. Mahesh is a ‘Platinum’ level Invisalign provider.
- He was awarded the ‘Commendation Prize certificate in the ‘Against the Odds Competition 2009’, conducted by the British Orthodontic Society.
- He also was a winner at the ‘Aesthetic Dentistry award 2018’ for the ‘Interdisciplinary Orthodontic-Restorative Team’ along with a local Aesthetic dentist.
- R. R. Mahesh is committed to postgraduate training and regularly attends courses and national & international conferences – which helps him to stay abreast of the latest advances and techniques in the speciality.
R. R. Mahesh is ably assisted by the rest of the M-Brace team – meet them here